Last updated on March 3rd, 2017 at 03:33 am
Most of the people join the online business to earn a huge amount of money besides their passion. And, if a person wants to start his/her career in the online world, he should try affiliate marketing as one of the primary sources of monetization.
Being an attractive source of the online income, the affiliate marketing is a very popular source of revenue for the bloggers, web designers and so many people working online. Anyone can learn and implement the affiliate marketing on his/her website, blog or video channel, etc. Some well-known people like Pat Flynn, Zac Johnson, Harsh Agrawal, etc. make the significant portion of their total revenue through the affiliate marketing. And, that income is in few thousand dollars per month.
You may think if this is so easy then why not all people try the affiliate marketing. Let me clear; the affiliate marketing is so easy is a miss-belief among most of the people. Some people try it but don’t get the success as they expect and leave in between. Some of them even don’t know the basics of affiliate marketing.
It is not a quick rich scheme, but you have to be patient to get desired success and return on your investment because ‘Rome was not built in a day’.
Here I will explain some of the basic tips and tricks of the affiliate marketing. However, to know every minute detail about it, you can go through ‘A to Z affiliate marketing’ ebook and that will be your best investment for affiliate marketing training.
What Is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a marketing network or arrangement in such way that a merchant/e-commerce company pays commission to the external marketing agency (publisher of a website or channel) for traffic or sales generation by its referral link as a bonus for the increase in sales percentage.
It’s the inexpensive and effective way for both merchant and publisher to earn profit from the increased sales. It may also help buyers to choose the good products or services according to their requirement, and hence it creates the win-win situation for all.
The merchant or the affiliate marketplace give the affiliate links to the publisher for marketing purpose. If the visitors buy the products from these links, the affiliate partner/publisher gets the commission for the actual sale generated through his referral link. Some companies can give you the commission for the products or services different from referred one for sale made within a limited time after clicking on a referral link.
E.g. Most of the e-commerce websites have 30 days cookie period. If visitors click on your referral link and land on the product sales page (generally called as a landing page for that product) and buy anything within next 30 days, you will be awarded by the that sale’s commission. It’s very beneficial for any affiliate marketer to earn extra revenue.
Affiliate commission can be 0.1% to 70% or even more for some products. If you have good marketing skills, then you can create a tremendous amount of passive income with the affiliate marketing. You have to sign up for any good affiliate programs and promote its products to your visitors.
Now, I will explain a few common terms associated with the affiliate marketing.
The people who use the affiliate marketing programs to promote products of third-party merchants or sellers. They place the affiliate link given by the affiliate merchant or the e-commerce website for promotion of their products to earn the commission in the percentage of actual sales generated through their referral links.
The people (merchant/seller or an e-commerce company) who create the affiliate programs to increase their sales. They create affiliate program through an affiliate software like iDevaffiliate and give the affiliate referral link to their affiliate partners (affiliate marketers/publishers) for the promotion of their products or services.
Besides that, you can find some affiliate marketplace where a few affiliate merchants have shared their products and services together for promotion. It helps affiliate marketer to choose a right affiliate program for promotion, and he can compare products or services and the commission rates too. These companies act as a central database for so many affiliate programs and give a good control over your entire marketing at a single dashboard.
VigLink, CueLinks, ShareASale, CJ Affiliate by Conversant and ClickBank are a few examples of the affiliate marketplaces that you can join. However, they have their terms and conditions; please read before proceeding further. You may require specific daily or monthly visitors or other similar requirements to be fulfilled for such programs. So I would suggest you try this option after a few months after starting your online publication.
A special tracking link generally called as a referral link offered by the affiliate merchants to track sales generated through your affiliate promotion.
When the visitors click on the affiliate link on your website/blog or channel they land on the product sale page to buy the product that you have recommended on your website/channel. These links are very lengthy and look very ugly. To get rid of this you can try link cloaking techniques like URL shortener services or plugins like the thirsty affiliates.
You may know what link cloaking is. If not then link cloaking is a method to convert a long affiliate URL link into a shorter and prettier one which looks more user-friendly. Apart from that link cloaking has the few advantages over long and original affiliate URL.
The link cloaking makes links customer friendly, helps in protection from link hijacking & affiliate identity theft. It also helps in easier tracking by using own URLs, and shortened URLs are looking more qualitative etc.
Use Link Cloaker plugins to get rid of the lengthy and ugly links. Here, I recommend thirsty affiliates plugin if you have website/blog with WordPress.
It’s a unique number allotted by affiliate merchant to its publishers. The another one is tracking ID, it’s similar to the affiliate ID, and you can create multiple tracking IDs associated with your affiliate ID/(associate ID) to track your income from different promotion strategies.
Here, I am going to explain it the bit more. If you are an Amazon affiliate with affiliate ID affiliate-12345, you can use two different tracking ID affiliate-1-12345 and affiliate-2-12345 to track your progress for two different promotion platforms like the blog and a social media marketing. You can generate individual income and progress reports for each tracking ID.
Affiliate Commission (In %):
When an affiliate marketer makes the sale, the affiliate merchant/ e-commerce company pays the commission according to the products & volume of sales generated i.e. high moving products have low commission rate while less moving products and digital downloadable products offer the high percentage of commission.
This percentage varies from 0.1% to 70% or even more. Some merchant companies can provide the higher commission rates than regular rates for, the higher volume of sales.
The affiliate marketer can put the deal for custom commission rates when traffic and conversion ratio is relatively high.
The affiliate commission is paid through different payment modes, and you can select any one suitable for you. These modes are as cheques, EFT, wire transfer, online payment gateways like PayPal or Payoneer and gift cards, etc. EFT and online payment gateways are the most convenient payment modes and very popular for online businesses.
Online payment gateways will help you a lot if you are a merchant/seller and gives your buyers to pay easily with their credit/debit cards, mobile wallets or directly through their accounts. To receive the affiliate commission you can use the online payment gateways. Here, you can select the best online payment gateways with zero setup fee.
A landing page is a unique page designed to increase the sale of the products or services. It’s optimized in such way that maximum conversion can be obtained. On a landing page publishers generally show offers, reviews or recommendations for the products and services that they want to promote or sell.
The layout of the landing page should be optimized for the SEO and users both to boost the traffic as well as the conversion. Some premium themes offer the best-suited layout for SEO and users both and give more clicks to your affiliate advertisements.
You can use A/B testing methods for your landing pages and check the progress over the specific period. By applying this method, you will know which product or landing page is converting more and creating maximum revenue to you. It’s very helpful when you use a number of affiliate marketing programs on your online portal.
Some companies provide you the commission for recommending their products as well as the affiliate program. Here, you can achieve higher revenue by recommending such good programs to others. It’s like a multi-level marketing (MLM), and the people downlinked to you are your sub-affiliates. You can receive the percentage of commission earned by your sub-affiliates for limited time or lifetime also.
PTC websites are a good example of the multi-level marketing where you can earn some money by applying this technique. However, I don’t recommend it as payout for such programs is very less.
The conversion means getting the response from your traffic to your CTA (Call To Action) or perform an action desired to you beyond simply browsing your blog/website or channel. In very simple words, the traffic turning into actual customers that land on product sales pages (landing pages).
Opening an advertisement email sent by you or signing up the newsletter on your blog are also kinds of conversion. It engages your visitors in your advertisement network and helps you to turn them into your customers.
It is the important term in affiliate marketing because if your conversion is low, then you may have to work on your present strategies and improve your marketing skills to get more conversion. If people are only browsing web page but not taking action, then you will lose the most of your revenue that would come to you by implementing simple techniques.
For increasing your conversion, you can offer some bet for your visitors in the form of the downloadable contents or the access to your secured high-quality articles. You can see, this marketing technique has used by most of the email marketers. They create some useful contents and give the access to it by signing up with valid email address and confirming it. Finally, making a sale to your customers is the biggest conversion in my opinion.
There are a few terms in this section like CTR, CPC, and PPC, etc. You can study all of them to improve your marketing skills and the conversion, and finally the sale.
The net income earned by the affiliate marketer/publisher using the affiliate programs. Most of the bloggers have the higher percentage of their total online revenue as the affiliate program. A standard affiliate marketer can earn around thousand bucks by taking small efforts. So it’s generally categorized as passive income also.
To increase the affiliate income, publishers can use so many proven ways like email marketing, social media marketing, etc. or by giving attractive offers like discounts or custom coupons. These techniques are easy to use, and you can use on your own blog/websites to increase your traffic, conversion, and sales.
A Little Known Things About The Affiliate Marketing:
- Now, you have the knowledge of basics of the affiliate marketing. If you want to start it, you can try your luck in this field. You just need a good content creating & presentation skills, marketing skills, and basic knowledge of computer and internet besides you have learned here. There is no requirement of any particular qualification to become a successful affiliate marketer besides the above skills.
- It’s not compulsory to have a blog/website or a video channel. You can share your affiliate links through the social media like Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc. But, having a blog/website would surely an advantage for you. You can create your WordPress blog here within just 30 minutes.
- If you already have a blog/website and you are using other advertising networks like Google AdSense then also you can use affiliate marketing for monetization purpose. It does not violate Terms Of Service of the Google AdSense.
- According to me, affiliate marketing is much better for rookies than Google AdSense and similar advertising network programs. If you have a healthy blog/website with decent traffic, you can use both, Google AdSense and affiliate marketing side by side. Being a nice way of monetization, it neither illegal nor harmful to your publication concerning the SEO or SERP.
- To join any affiliate program, you can search ‘merchant name + affiliate’ in the search box of your internet browser or visit the affiliate marketplace like ShareASale, CJ affiliate By conversant, ClickBank or E-junkie, etc. All companies don’t offer an affiliate program, but you can check their websites to verify the existing affiliate programs, their commission rates and terms of service. Most of the e-commerce companies and online products generally offer affiliate programs; you can join the best suited for you.
- It’s easy to join any affiliate program, and you don’t have to pay any charges to join these programs. You can sign up with valid email address and required credentials for becoming an affiliate. However, you can use some paid services like email marketing services, PPC advertisement, etc. to boost your affiliate sales. It can help you to grow very fast and become a successful affiliate marketer. Though it is true, there no guarantee that a specific strategy will work for you successfully. You can test several methods of marketing over the time and select the best worked for you.
- Always promote the products or services that add some value to your contents. The products that you are going to promote should be relevant to the niche of your blog/website otherwise; visitors would feel your blog is of low quality and just for marketing purpose. In this case, your bounce rate may be high, and you will fail to convert.
- It’s also important to join quality affiliate programs that give quality products and satisfactory service to your buyers and a good percentage of commission to you as a publisher. Selecting and joining the so many affiliate programs randomly is not a good practice as an affiliate marketer. It can hamper your career very badly. So select better affiliate programs and focus more on the marketing & conversions. Research in this field will definitely help you to become a successful affiliate marketer.
You have definitely got the basics about affiliate marketing but learning it from who is already successful in this field is a great way to start. Invest in yourself and see the result pleasing you in the upcoming days.If you have any queries or feedback, feel free to connect with us by the comment box.
If you are serious about your online career, especially in affiliate marketing, then you should consider buying the best affiliate handbook about affiliate marketing by Harsh Agrawal.
If you have any queries or feedback, feel free to connect with us by the comment box.