Nowadays most of the people are moving to the online business. The business needs branding in order to get popularity. Creating a brand from scratch is not so easy because Rome wasn’t built in a day. Once you decided to move online, then you will surely own a website and domain name relevant to your business.
If you have already owned a brand, then there is no problem. If not, then you can select a beautiful brand name and thus domain for your business.
It’s also possible that you can’t get your brand name as a domain for your website because another party may already own it. In such cases, you have to buy that domain to secure your business or move to another name. This is all the overview about the importance of domain name related to your business and brand. Now, we are going to discuss that all in detail.
DNS and URL
Before all of that, we must understand what is the domain, what is URL and how important are they? The domain and the URL are two different things and related to each other. We will discuss a bit about them.
What is DNS (Domain Name System)
Before going to the domain, I would like to explain what is the need for the Domain Name System (DNS). Actually, the internet is a network of computers. To find the specific computer in that network we need its ID, which is the IP (Internet Protocol) address of that computer.
The IP address is denoted in number. Suppose, IP address for a computer is 235.2235.02.109. Is it easy to remember? Most of the people will say ‘No.’ Because finding and recalling such numerical addresses is very difficult to the ordinary human. So Domain Name System (DNS) comes in existence, like www.abcd.com.
Domain Name System (DNS) is invented in 1983 and generally used by networks, computers, and internet-based services to translate complex strings of numbers (IP addresses) into easy to remember web addresses (Domain names).
When you type the web address as Domain name into the search box of your and press enter, the request is sent to the root server and then the name server of the authoritative provider. The name server then translates the domain name into the IP address associated with it and sends you to the appropriate web server that delivers you the requested web page.
This process happens within a few microseconds, and you get the requested web page on your screen.
What is the URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
URL ( Uniform Resource Locator) is the standardized form of the web address. It has the syntax to identify and locate the web page. It may vary with different addresses.
In the above image, you can easily understand what URL is.
- http is one type of transfer protocol known as the hypertext transfer protocol. Other protocols include https, FTP, etc.
- (: )is the sign which separates the rest of the address from transfer protocol.
- (//) is the sign that denotes the connection is attempted.
- www is the subdomain and acronym for the ‘World Wide Web.’ It may not be required to access the web page and can be replaced by another subdomain like support or contact etc.
- websitetipstricks is the actual domain you want to access. You can select the domain name of your own choice or according to your brand name. You can move to another domain name if it’s already taken. The selection of domain is very important in order to expand your business and popularity.
- .com is the domain suffix generally called as the extension. You can select any TLD (Top Level Domain) extension. But, always prefer ‘.com’ Extension whenever possible. Other extensions are .net, .biz, .org, .edu. Some country-code TLD extensions including .in, .au, .uk are also very popular.
- wp is the directory where the web page is actually located. It may be different, and in most of the cases, it is public_html. That’s a directory on computers running Apache web servers that store all HTML files and other web content to be viewed on the Internet. In this case, when you visit a website, each page loads from the public_html directory.
- welcome-to-websitetipstricks is an actual web page you are looking for. It may have the file extension like .html, .xml, .cgi, .php or .asp etc. that’s the page written in.
Finding a Right Domain
Now, you have understood what the DNS and the URL is. The next thing is to find the proper domain name. Domain names are basically of two types.
We will discuss it in very short. The Keyword-based domain names have one or more keywords in them. You can combine two or more keywords to form your domain name. It is very easy to remember, but it may have focused only on the particular niche on which you are going to work.
It may cause a little issue if you want to move into another niche. The benefit of the keyword-based domain name is that the domain can be easily remembered and search frequency for these domains is more. e.g. websitetipstricks.com
- Generic or Independent
Generic or independent domain names are yet to come as the brand and not focused on a particular niche. You have to take efforts for its marketing and branding or use any word even your name for this category.
Just search for your favorite domain name and register it easily. If you own a brand, then it’s better to buy all TLD similar to your brand name.
Suppose, you own a brand ABCD then try to buy abcd.net, abcd.org, abcd.biz along with most popular domain abcd.com. It may help you in the future to grow the audience, and you won’t lose traffic on the websites having a similar domain name.
You can use the following tools to find a nice domain name.
Top Domain Name Generators
By using the above tools, you can get your favorite name. Otherwise, you can go with your brand name. I hope you have understood the basics of the DNS and URL. By using our recommended tools find a beautiful domain name for your website.
Want anything to add on this blog? Let me know by writing in the comment box.
You May Also Like